[csswg-drafts] [css-flexbox] min size of flex items: specified size has superfluous requirement? (#3669)

From: davidsgrogan via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 03:25:27 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
davidsgrogan has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-flexbox] min size of flex items: specified size has superfluous requirement? ==
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox-1/#min-size-auto says

> the content-based minimum size of a flex item is the smaller of its content size suggestion and its specified size suggestion.

Then both content size suggestion and specified size suggestion are clamped by the max main size property if that is definite.

I think specified size doesn't need to be clamped by its max main size property if content size is, because min(min(specified, max), min(content, max)) == min(specified, min(content, max))

If that's right, then the parenthetical can be removed from https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox-1/#specified-size-suggestion

> If the item’s computed main size property is definite, then the specified size suggestion is that size ~~(clamped by its max main size property if it’s definite)~~. It is otherwise undefined.

If that's wrong, and there's a case where clamping matters, please let me know so I can implement it in Blink! :)

/cc @cbiesinger

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3669 using your GitHub account