Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values] Should viewport units still depend on scrollbar width for overflow:scroll? (#1766)

From: Corey Worrell via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 00:40:11 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@tabatkins Not to beat a dead horse, but I do think this is important to get right. I just don't understand why viewport units aren't handled *exactly* the same as percentage units, as if the element is a direct child of the `body` for example.

```html
```
That example alone makes no sense to me. The purpose of viewport units was to be able to reference a percentage of the width of the "initial containing block", instead of only being tied to using a percentage of its parent element.

Why would one want to "draw" an element "under" the scrollbar and force a horizontal scrollbar? If you absolutely needed that for whatever reason, *that* should be the exception, and handling it would simply involve hiding the overflow however you see fit (`overflow-x: hidden` or `overflow-y-hidden`).

I have read through the IRC discussions and do not see any solid reason this was dropped.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by coreyworrell
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1766#issuecomment-460470368 using your GitHub account