Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] font-display: optional without relayout (#4108)

From: Chris Harrelson via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 22:21:25 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I agree that we need this mode. Unfortunately, today use of a *local, pre-cached* web font incurs a two renders to draw most of the time, because the there is no way to make the font block the rendering entirely for a limited time.

Browsers can add heuristics to anticipate this, but there is probably an inherent tradeoff about whether the font blocks all of rendering that, for high-performance sites, the site author should be allowed to make.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by chrishtr
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4108#issuecomment-565630615 using your GitHub account