Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-page-3] Add orientation descriptor (#4491)

From: Mike Bremford via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 08:58:17 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Printing devices will all rotate the pages to fit the available media anyway, they won't need the hint. Yes, if we were implementing this we'd map to the Rotate entry on the PDF Page object, which can take any multiple of 90 as a valid value.

Presumably the intention here is to try and get all the pages the same size on screen? So if you have a single landscape page halfway through a document, for example, you can rotate it to make it visually the same dimensions as the rest of the document? I can see an argument for that - it would help PDF viewers to choose the initial display settings fo the document. But I can't think of any other reason for this myself.

If that's the case then I personally prefer "orientation: portrait", which could leave pages that are originally portrait pages untouched and rotate only landscape pages, over "orientation: 90" or "orientation: rotate-right"

--
GitHub Notification of comment by faceless2
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4491#issuecomment-564443673 using your GitHub account