Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values] Proposal: add sibling-count() and sibling-index() (#4559)

From: Christoph Päper via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 17:53:11 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I always expected that `var()` would eventually be extended to support predefined variables without a double-hyphen prefix (like `env()`), because otherwise that ugly convention could have been avoided altogether, so I donʼt see why it would be syntax misuse, but I do understand the type-casting implications, which is why predefined counters seem like a more natural fit for inherently integer variables – alas, they have other problems.

Anyway, selectors in property values always seem like a bad idea, so Iʼm against a proactive function syntax without parameters, which probably appears natural only to a programmerʼs brain. In pseudo-classes, there are already precedents of something like `:foo` paired with `:foo(bar)` if this soothes those concerns.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by Crissov
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4559#issuecomment-562872171 using your GitHub account