Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] system-ui-serif, system-ui-monospaced, and system-ui-rounded (#4107)

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 18:51:38 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@litherum I don't think that's quite the intention. Firstly, we have to make a clear distinction between generic family keywords and font names. Secondly, the concern in the note wasn't so much to control the system fallback in a particular way as to explicitly select certain desired fonts when they are available available rather than assuming a certain generic keyword always returns that desired font. Maybe something like

> Note: User agents / operating systems are encouraged to also expose these standard font families by actual font-specific `<family-name>` values, in addition to the keywords given here, so that authors can request those specific fonts without making an assumption about a standard font family keyword mapping to a specific font.

I think you also need to clarify that these new values are keywords, like `<generic-family>`, not strings that can sometimes be left unquoted, like `<family-name>`. It might be worth giving them their own `<system-family>` value type.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4107#issuecomment-561305062 using your GitHub account