[csswg-drafts] [css-values-4] Explicitly undefine CSS numeric precision in general (#4552)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2019 03:32:04 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
tabatkins has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-values-4] Explicitly undefine CSS numeric precision in general ==
Leaving aside the more specific issue of calculation trees in #4551, CSS numeric precision can vary greatly, both across and within implementations: layout-related values are measured in some integer number of layout-units (either 1/60, 1/64, or 1/100 of a px in current impls); others are stored as f32 or f64; some integers have funky ranges so they can be packed into bitfields efficiently with other values.

I don't anticipate this changing, either by impls aligning with each other or impls using a single numeric type across all their numeric values. We've tried in the past to give explicit ranges for allowed precision, but couldn't settle on values then either. I suggest we just explicitly state that numeric width/precision is undefined in CSS.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4552 using your GitHub account