Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-selectors][css-namespaces] Lexical Scoping (#4061)

From: Matthew Dean via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 23:30:31 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> I'm not sure what this means. I'm not defining any tree behaviors that I know of.

What I mean is, in the above example, if `markdown:class` affects the namespace targeting of the child `<p>` element, that's not how namespaced attributes were originally defined AFAICT.

That is, the way to namespace a "tree" in XML appears to be more like:
```html
<!-- Literally would be more like xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" -->
<link rel="namespaced stylesheet" xmlns="markdown">
```
Which is a bit more syntactically similar to what I was suggesting i.e. setting a namespace explicitly in an attribute (although I would pick something other than `xmlns` of course, since that may still be valid to declare.) That is, you set the name space on the tag, not via a namespaced attribute.

So, the only difference I was proposing from traditional XML namespacing was syntax (attribute name):
```html
<link rel="namespaced stylesheet" scope="markdown">
```

--
GitHub Notification of comment by matthew-dean
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4061#issuecomment-525072570 using your GitHub account