Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values] Range constraints and functions (#4191)

From: Mike Bremford via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 08:07:12 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
css-values-3 has, in section 8.1.4:

> Parse-time range-checking of values is not performed within calc(), and therefore out-of-range values do not cause the declaration to become invalid.

Percentages used in calc functions can and will change as the window is resized; same with font units if the font uses a vw/vh. So both your examples above are potentially subject to fairly frequent reevaluation and are definitely not always negative.

My understanding was that having CSS declarations become valid or invalid dynamically is not something that is desired - the same approach is used in css-variables, for example.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by faceless2
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4191#issuecomment-520733838 using your GitHub account