Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-shadow-parts] PanResp (Panel Responsive) support: sizing expression mapping (#3874)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 21:37:34 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
There is no way to avoid that problem; non-registered custom properties are never parsed into meaningful values until they're actually used in a var(), so the browser simple *doesn't know they contain a length* at the time they're declared.

That all said!  My second post outlining the implementation difficulties was on the money here; these mapping properties would be additional "must find computed value before everything else" properties, which are a bit expensive/complicated to add.

At the moment, your use-case seems interesting, but theoretical, and I don't think I can justify trying to push a large new change like this from it.

However, please pursue your technique! If it ends up popular, it'll (a) tell us that we could help a lot of people by making it simpler to use, and (b) give us real-world data on exactly what works well or less well for users, so we can design the feature to be the best possible.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3874#issuecomment-487209441 using your GitHub account