Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-page-floats] should intersect with [css-page] (#3780)

From: v-python via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 01:14:18 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Interesting. I'm glad it is recognized as an issue; it's certainly a common feature in print layouts. I'm not sure I understand the connections to ::first-line, except maybe if there is a plan to do ::nth-line also? At least obviously, there will be more than one page to which formatting would need to apply.  Where can I follow along with the ::first-letter (or did you mean ::first-line?) fixes?

Once you expanded my outlook to the idea of region-scoped selectors, it makes me wonder if another issue I've bumped into is related. I'm tossing hundreds or thousands of small items in a grid, for one application, and I discover that there is only one way to control grid-column track width, and that is via grid-template-columns (unless I missed something). There seems to be no way to specify a selected subset of tracks to have a given width, after the fact (in a cascade), but rather one must "keep notes" and update the grid-template-columns specification.  And, there's no selector to say "element::nth-track( 2n )" to supply zebra striping or checkerboard backgrounds. Would this fall under the concept of region-scoped selectors? Are these ideas that are already in discussion somewhere?

--
GitHub Notification of comment by v-python
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3780#issuecomment-486482840 using your GitHub account