Re: [csswg-drafts] [selectors] :link and <link> (#3817)

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 15:34:24 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I don't think there is any sensible definition of what it means for a `<link>` to be visited. E.g., is a `<link rel="stylesheet">` visited once you download a stylesheet? That's the only "visited" state that makes sense for that type of link, but I doubt that's what the browsers are checking.

From a user perspective, it's also not very helpful for `<link>` to match `:link`, despite the names.  A `:link` style is supposed to indicate to the user that I can activate this element to trigger a hyperlink navigation.  And while an author may choose to render a `<link>` element with CSS, it doesn't make it a navigable hyperlink.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3817#issuecomment-481741695 using your GitHub account