[csswg-drafts] Relationship between FontFace and CSSFontFaceRule (#3787)

From: Myles C. Maxfield via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 05:49:50 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
litherum has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== Relationship between FontFace and CSSFontFaceRule ==
The ship has probably sailed on this, but I still think it's worth discussing in the context of future direction.

Regarding the `FontFace` object and the `@font-face` rule, the spec [says](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-font-loading-3/#font-face-css-connection) this:

> There is a two-way connection between the two: any change made to a `@font-face` descriptor is immediately reflected in the corresponding `FontFace` attribute, and vice versa.

So why have two separate objects? Why didn't we add a bunch of member attributes/methods on CSSFontFaceRule instead? In the future, should the CSSWG add new attributes to both objects?

This is relevant due to the work the WebFonts WG is doing on streamable fonts. That work will likely impact the CSS Font Loading API.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3787 using your GitHub account