Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] [varfont] Italic & Oblique benefit from not including a <number> (#519)

From: Chris Lilley via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 17:58:08 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@petercon
> fonts can now be made with arbitrary type-designer-controlled slant, so why munge other fonts...

Yes, if the fallback font happens to be a variable font. But we can't guarantee that, and the CSS spec needs to give guidance on what to do when an oblique font is requested (with a given angle) and no variable font with a `slnt` axis is in the font stack, so it has to be synthesized.

(Note that CSS also allows a stylesheet to disallow fake bold, fake italic, and now fake smallcaps too).

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/519#issuecomment-442931724 using your GitHub account