Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-selectors] `:has()` and performance (#3345)

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 20:52:21 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I'm going to point to this thread, where Boris Zbarsky has already answered this question in detail:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Jan/thread.html#msg473
I'm going to suggest reading carefully through all his replies. And I'm going to close this issue, as the assertion in the OP (“would be essentially identical in terms of performance”) is invalid.

We would all love for this to be performantly solved, and I'm sure it's possible with some kind of sophisticated caching and/or crazy inversion of the existing matching engines, but until someone actually does it and the other implementers agree to also take it on as a priority, it can't go in the spec, which is supposed to reflect an agreement of what should be imminently implemented.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3345#issuecomment-441793696 using your GitHub account