Re: [csswg-drafts] [selectors] :drop() should not be a pseudo-function

From: Christoph Päper via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 11:38:43 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I know this is beating a dead horse, because @annevk was right in that the whole feature would be dropped, but just being reminded of this issue today, I really despise @tabatkins's reference to Enum. Enumerated keywords are always either mutually exclusive or may combine freely, but here you had three values of which two are mutually exclusive. If the `active valid` and `active invalid` combinations had separate keywords, this would be a different situation (which would probably be criticized on other grounds). My point holds: this was bad language design, and legacy `dir()` is only slightly better.

```` webidl
enum Validity { "valid", "invalid" };
enum Activity { "active", "passive" };
enum Activeness { "active", "inactive", "dormant" /*...*/ };
enum Availability { "available", "unavailable", "occupied" /*...*/ };
enum Interactivity /*?*/ { "active", "valid", "invalid", "available" /* = active+valid */, "unavailable" /* = active+invalid */ };
/* ... */

interface DropTarget {
  attribute Validity check;
  attribute Activeness state;

  void initialize(Validity check, Activeness state);
};
````

--
GitHub Notification of comment by Crissov
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2256#issuecomment-439011505 using your GitHub account