Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries-5] Clarification on prefers-color-scheme issues

From: Timothy Hatcher via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 21:33:54 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Apple's implementation matches `light` or `dark` always when the system / app / view UI is running in light or dark mode — it is a binary choice on macOS — the user / app / view / system has no choice but to be in one of the two modes.

In Safari `no-preference` is basically treated like a hypothetical `prefers-color-scheme: either` — kind of like what you suggest for `(prefers-color-scheme)`.

Given that `(prefers-color-scheme)` does not read well or convey much intent, we decided to make it invalid. But again, we can change it — and it would always be `true` for us. Conversely `no-preference` would always be `false` for us.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by xeenon
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3278#issuecomment-438826672 using your GitHub account