Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-shapes-1] Unclear on "margin-box" dimensions when box model is over-constrained

From: Mike Bremford via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2018 10:36:30 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
It was specifically this bit:

> 'margin-left' + 'border-left-width' + 'padding-left' + 'width' + 'padding-right' + 'border-right-width' + 'margin-right' = width of containing block

and

> If all of the above have a computed value other than 'auto', the values are said to be "over-constrained" and one of the used values will have to be different from its computed value

However, I've re-read css-align-3 and I now see that it effectively replaces much of CSS2.1 section 10, which I hadn't fully appreciated until now.

I see the intention if all the `align-*` and` justify-*` values are left at their defaults is that the results will be identical to CSS 2.1. It looks like they are *except* for the removal of the over-constraint clauses in 10.3.3, 10.3.6 and 10.6.6. And the only place I think think of where that change would have an effect is, of course, the margin-box in css-shapes-1.

It might be an idea to add a note to css-shapes-1 section 1.1, "Module Interactions", that the behaviour also depends on css-align-3. Although I'm sure I would have missed that too...

I'll close this, thanks for your feedback.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by faceless2
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3275#issuecomment-435337823 using your GitHub account