Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] aspect ratio units needed

From: Daniel Tonon via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2018 12:19:38 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
>From https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/333#issuecomment-431824461:

> If you wanted to add aspect-ratio sizing to padding/border/margin but didn't want the box itself to be sized using aspect-ratio, that would be much more difficult (maybe even impossible) to achieve using `from-ratio`. It would be easily achievable using an `ar` unit though.

Since padding, border, and margin are all attached to either a horizontal or vertical side, I'm wondering if the `tr` unit could be extended to those properties as well to solve this.

`from-ratio` requires the whole box to be sized into an aspect-ratio, a `tr` unit would not.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by Dan503
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1173#issuecomment-435023623 using your GitHub account