[csswg-drafts] [css-sizing] Incorrect use of the word "compute" in definition of intrinsic keyword values

From: Mats Palmgren via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 20:13:51 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
MatsPalmgren has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-sizing] Incorrect use of the word "compute" in definition of intrinsic keyword values ==
The [min-content](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-sizing-3/#valdef-width-min-content) and max-content values are defined as "otherwise compute to the property’s initial value".  I read that as "otherwise (in the block-axis) the computed value of this property is the property’s initial value".  This is not what UAs actually implement and would be problematic to implement since it would introduce a dependency on the `writing-mode` property.  For example:

```html
```
The spec suggest that the inner element should inherit the value `auto`.  This seems wrong to me, it should inherit the value `min-content` (and this is what UAs currently implements).

I suggest you reword it as "otherwise the _used value_ is the property’s initial value".

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2708 using your GitHub account