Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-counter-styles] range fallback is neither widely implemented nor sensible as specified

On Wed, 2018-03-28 at 13:28 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> > Adding higher numbers to Armenian actually looks doable with the
>
> current rule
>
> Again, we *could* allow that if we wanted with explicit callouts - we
> already do that with Hebrew

Yes, i saw that.

> However, it makes testing more difficult, for obvious reasons.
Yes, or easier, depending on what you test, but then there's a harder
burden on interop for sure. But the result may be a lot better.

> > Falling back to "number out of
>
> range" in the user's language might be an improvement actually.
>
> I strongly disagree that refusing to render at all is an improvement
> over just rendering in decimal.

i can see argument both ways, and also for [3901020 out of range] with
the number in roman if we cant' repreent it in the user's language,
which at least explains what's going on but will possibly break a
layout. But if it's relaying on unavailable numbers it's already
broken.

I'm not going to push back further - i wanted to try & avoid the
required fallback to arabic numerals. Actually, having said that, in
the case that the user's language isn't the same as the documents,
falling back to the user's number system might work too. For example, a
Japanese reader looking at an Armenian document could then see numbers
in Japanese. But it still doesn't help a Japanese speaker reading a
Japanese document in a browser that can't count high enough.

--
Liam Quin, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Staff contact for Verifiable Claims WG, SVG WG, XQuery WG

--
GitHub Notification of comment by liamquin
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2479#issuecomment-377082846 using your GitHub account