[csswg-drafts] [css-overflow] convert -webkit-line-clamp alias requirement into a spec issue

From: Cameron McCormack via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 05:04:02 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
heycam has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-overflow] convert -webkit-line-clamp alias requirement into a spec issue ==
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow-3/#line-clamp

The spec currently requires that a `-webkit-line-clamp` alias for `line-clamp` be supported.  It's not yet clear that a simple alias is a net win for Web compatibility, since Blink and WebKit's `-webkit-line-clamp` implementation requires `display: -webkit-box; -webkit-box-orientation: vertical;` for the line clamping behavior to kick in.  We're concered that there may be content that sets `-webkit-line-clamp` on elements that aren't `display: -webkit-box; -webkit-box-orientation: vertical;` and end up truncating their content in browsers other than Blink and WebKit.

I suggest that this be turned into a spec issue until we determine what is the best approach for handling `-webkit-line-clamp`.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2847 using your GitHub account