Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-writing-modes] Add a new value `horizontal-tb-rl` to `writing-mode`

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 13:04:44 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Does this mode of writing use the vertical alternates? My experience of it is insufficient to answer, as I cannot recall seeing any content like this that used characters that are different in horizontal vs vertical writing modes.

If it is using horizontal alternates, I wonder if this is a case where we should actually use the `direction` property (https://drafts.csswg.org/css-writing-modes-3/#direction), despite the warning against it in the spec. I don't think it belongs in the markup since it is a stylistic choice, not something inherent to the language.

Another other interesting questions to help figure out whether this is indeed horizontal right to left or vertical-rl with very short columns:

What happens when numbers in the latin script's numerals are embedded in it? I believe that happens for example in newspaper titles with dates, and that the dates are displayed in their usual ltr. This would confirm that this is a horizontal mode, and that the direction property can handle it.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2754#issuecomment-396047745 using your GitHub account