Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-text] Prevent line breaking after explicit hyphens (#3434)

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 05:45:25 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Pushed some rephrasing in https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/commit/723a74e442f4aada947c8f0bccb33a7186235432

Note the section quoted in https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3463#issuecomment-450520488 is also relevant here wrt breaking `e-mail` and similar very short segments.

Remaining things we could do:
- Recommend that if a word contains hyphens, those breakpoints take priority over automatic hyphenation, similar to what we require for soft hyphens. Possibly note that if a segment without hyphens is particularly long, the UA can still hyphenate if needed. (L3 or L4)
- Define that hyphenate-limit-chars also applies to breaks at explicit hyphens. (L4)
- Add a `nowrap` value to `hyphens` in L4.

All three of these make sense to me. Agenda+ for WG discussion/resolution.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3434#issuecomment-450610535 using your GitHub account