Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-position][css-position-3] Padding on scroll container affects (and inconsistently) the offset behavior of sticky position (#3352)

From: jonjohnjohnson via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2018 19:17:52 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Funnily enough, this gets slightly more convoluted when we an author uses scroll-snapping alongside a fixed/sticky positioned element, making use of `scroll-padding` on a snapport to snap in relation to that fixed/sticky element. Here padding on the scroll container pushes the sticky position offsets content box inside when already having to declare `scroll-padding` to offset the block/inline sizes of the fixed/sticky element. Just all seems so unintuitive.

Or if a scroll container has non-zero padding, would this compute into its initial `scroll-padding: auto` anyways???

And this would make me think `scroll-padding` should then be a property that propagates to the viewport from the body? But is it? Since body *could be a separate scroll container from the viewport? See the `scroll-behavior` property not propagating from body, @upsuper?

--
GitHub Notification of comment by jonjohnjohnson
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3352#issuecomment-445483121 using your GitHub account