Re: [csswg-drafts] Make things focusable in CSS (#3379)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 07:47:44 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
---

Migrated from https://github.com/WICG/spatial-navigation/issues/25#issuecomment-375016870
Originally created by @bradkemper on *Wed, 21 Mar 2018 16:57:16 GMT*

---
@frivoal I think it might be a distinction without a difference. The only interactivity difference I can see between changing focus between controls and changing focus (or whatever you’d call it) within a control, is what key you use to do it.

Pragmatically, when building a UI component, '.focus()', ':focus', and '.setAttribute("tab-index", "0|-1") are the tools I use now if I want to follow best keyboard practices for navigating controls like radio buttons, menus, tabs, trees, and the like, where the internal thing has to be focused before it can be changed. I’d have a hard time thinking of that as anything other than focus.

Please see this, if you haven’t already: https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/NOTE-wai-aria-practices-1.1-20171214/#kbd_general_within

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3379#issuecomment-443617795 using your GitHub account