[csswg-drafts] preloading a CSS image

From: 張俊芝 via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2018 18:19:27 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Zhang-Junzhi has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== preloading a CSS image ==
For now, we seem to have to do something _hacky_ if we want to preload a image for use as a CSS image later. Despite some hacky workarounds requiring script or document code invovled, there are some pure CSS wordaround(like the following example):

```
body::before
{
    content: url(foo-bg.png) url(bar-bg.png) url(other-bg1.png) url(other-bg2.png);
    position: absolute;
    height: 0px;
    width: 0px;
    overflow: hidden;
    z-index: -1;
}

#foo:hover
{
    background: url(foo-bg.png);
}

```

It seems preloading a CSS image is "prefectly" resolved via pure CSS, however, these pure CSS methods look very counter-intuitive, lengthy and maintenance-invovling, and even further, they aren't just _theoretically garanteed_ to be correct(though they work in most of broswers in the real world).

I'd really like to see a native CSS feature that explictly provides ability to preload a image.

Any takes on this issue? I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2994 using your GitHub account