Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] Reconsider the meaning of 1fr

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 23:28:33 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
This sort of behavior is common between Grid and Flexbox; if you set up the same examples in Flexbox you'll get the same "somethings things get too tall" problem.  I don't want to make any change to Grid specifically, then; anything we do should be generic and apply to them both.

And note that there are two possible ways to "fix" the problem here; either setting the track to an explicit min of 0, *or* setting the item to `overflow: auto`.  (For example, setting `main { overflow: auto; }` in the first example Manuel links "fixes" the problem just fine.)

A possible generic fix that @fantasai came up with is, when determining the min-content contribution of a grid or flex item in the block axis, let the min-content contribution be 0 (or rather, it's min size per other properties, ignoring its content) for items with non-visible overflow (with this definition being recursively applied).

Dunno how safe this is, or what effects it might have on existing sites.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1777#issuecomment-332683990 using your GitHub account