Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries-4 ] Deprecate 'speech' media type as well?

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 06:10:14 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

The current definition of `speech` is lousy, as screen readers, which it claims should match it, are a better fit for `screen` (plus some extra capabilities), since they do work on the result of a visual layout. If that's really what it's for, it should be deprecated, because it is wrong.

If we want to use it for a set of user agents completely disjoint from visual UAs (e.g. “Siri/Alexa,  read me the wikipedia page about strawman arguments”), then it would make some more sense as a media type. Which still leaves us with a question of whether anyone implements that.

Either way, it should not stay the way it is.

@tabatkins Any thoughts? Who do we get in touch with to know if they are interested in this for pure-speach UAs (not screen readers)?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1751#issuecomment-332096272 using your GitHub account