Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-rhythm-1] Avoiding accidental double spacing

From: Alan Stearns via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 00:31:04 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I agree that in your example the double-spacing of the Myanmar and large capital text in the second box is largely intentional, and not relevant to this issue.

The Arabic case might be relevant. I think that if there were browser differences in dealing with how the Arabic line height interacted with a line grid such that one browser double-spaced the lines and another did not, that's the case that this issue is worried about. But it looks to me like this example should be fairly clear-cut - the Arabic line-height is several pixels larger than the grid spacing. The third box doesn't look like an improvement to me, because it's tightening the specified line-height too much to squash the lines into the grid.

So I think the example would have to be a closer call for this issue to come into play. The line-height needs to be closer to (and smaller than) the grid spacing, such that there's clear authorial intent to not get double-spaced lines. This issue is then relevant if there are enough differences in text rendering between browsers and platforms that accidental double-spacing occurs.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by astearns
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/938#issuecomment-332051159 using your GitHub account