Re: [csswg-drafts] [selectors] Functional pseudo-class like :matches() with 0 specificity

From: Lea Verou via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 08:49:23 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I think both are useful.
The problem is that nullifying specificity is rarely desirable.
Imagine that every universal selector or type selector from the library user will override anything from the library stylesheet.
The good thing with the pseudo-class is that we can see how authors use it and design the at-rule accordingly, since the at-rule is syntactic sugar for the pseudo-class.

Regarding the name, I like how `:when()` reads, but I also like the brevity of `:is()`. I’m fine with either.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by LeaVerou
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1170#issuecomment-331620760 using your GitHub account