Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-variables] User Agent properties and variables

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 17:47:32 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> I have got a problem here, and my problem varies ;) More precisely, the values that we are discussing here are not going to be constants.

Yeah, what eeeps said - they're constant over the page, as opposed to refs that can vary from element to element.

> All in all, I have not seen any argument to convince me we should invest in adding a new function instead of a namespace for existing value references.

A big difference is that these are usable in places other than properties and animations - you should be able to use these "constants" in MQs and such. (Again, because they're constant across the page, and so don't care about what context they're being used in.)  I'm loathe to say "var() is only allowed on elements normally, but you can use it wherever you want if you use this particular type of var name" - much better for everyone if it's a totally distinct name.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1693#issuecomment-329558043 using your GitHub account