Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-flexbox][css-grid] Intrinsic sizing with ∑flex < 1 is broken

From: Daniel Holbert via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 18:43:42 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
This section starts out:
> The max-content main size of a flex container is the smallest size the flex container can take while maintaining the max-content contributions of its flex items

That doesn't seem to be accurate anymore.  In @tabatkins' example above (https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1735#issuecomment-328631076 ), "the smallest size the flex container can take while maintaining the max-content contributions of its flex items" is considerably larger than 500px.  It'd be whatever size the container would need to be so that the first item end up at 200px.

I think the issue is that "maintaining the max-content contributions of its flex items" is not strictly the goal here. Rather, it's something more like "maintaining the max-content contributions of its flex items, as much as their flex factors will allow, in light of our desire for continuity with 0".

--
GitHub Notification of comment by dholbert
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1735#issuecomment-329260252 using your GitHub account