Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-display][css-pseudo] Is ::marker created by display:list-item or does it always exist?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 20:00:14 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Ah, I was inclined to say they always exist (but only generate boxes when `display:list-item` on the originating element), but your point about infinite trees is well-taken.  (I mean, the element tree isn't observable, so it being infinite but only being allowed to generate finite box trees is theoretically okay, but awkward to talk about.)

I mean, `::marker` pseudos can't ever generate *meaningfully* generate more `::marker`s, because they don't accept `display`.  We could make that more explicit when talking about the implicit generation.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1793#issuecomment-328641740 using your GitHub account