[csswg-drafts] [css-multicol] how does absolute positioning work in a containing block that was split by a column-span?

From: L. David Baron via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 00:54:57 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
dbaron has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-multicol] how does absolute positioning work in a containing block that was split by a column-span? ==
I'm filing this based on a discussion I just had with @neerjapancholi.  It is related to #1072.

It's not clear to me from the spec how absolute positioning works when the containing block for absolutely positioned elements is split by a column-span.

In particular, if you have markup like:

```html
    ... position A ...
    <h2 style="column-span: all">... position B...</h2>
    ... position C ...
```
then it should be clear what the absolute containing block is for elements at position A, at position B, or at position C.  (Consider use of both `top` and `bottom`.)

I haven't tested what current implementations do.

One possibility is that they act as though the `div` with style `position:relative` was split into three parts, and elements at positions A, B, and C position relative to the appropriate part.  Another is that behavior happens at positions A and C, but elements at position B fall back to the next absolute containing block outside of the outermost `div`.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1894 using your GitHub account