Re: [csswg-drafts] "Mirror of CSS WG Editor Draft repository" is confusing

From: Peter Linss via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 14:30:37 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> How can they both be the source of truth?

That's simply the nature of distributed version control systems. There's nothing about any repo that makes it more "truthy" than another (aside from an imposed human convention).

> Has it just never happened that both repos have been updated at the same time to create a conflict?

Yes, just like if I commit to a local repo around the same time as you do, then we both push. It's just branches that get merged (or rebased).

> (I'm assuming both repos are supposed to have exactly the same commits, not just end up in the same end state.)

Again, they do get the same commits, after all the pushing, pulling and merging is done. Just the nature of DVCS.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by plinss
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1844#issuecomment-333860401 using your GitHub account