Re: [csswg-drafts] [selectors] Functional pseudo-class like :matches() with 0 specificity

From: L. David Baron via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 07:10:37 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
For what it's worth (responding to my own comments in the minutes above), I might be wrong about which aspects of `:matches()` are hard -- maybe the branching doesn't add that much complexity -- and difficulty with specificity wouldn't be present here, although there may still be issues with implementing the various class/tag/id and bloom filter optimizations to make `:matches()` equivalent in performance to the old way of saying the same thing.  It does appear I had the opposite opinion before (about how bad the branching of combinators resulting from allowing combinators inside `:matches()` was).  But I think it's still a relatively complex feature, and that tying the ability to drop specificity to `:matches()` does hurt the chances of getting the ability to drop specificity sooner.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by dbaron
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1170#issuecomment-342729984 using your GitHub account