Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-display][css-ruby][css-contain] Becoming a formatting context

From: Oriol Brufau via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 14:09:33 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
OK, but note that `contain` is not the only reason that makes `ruby-root` desirable.

For example, `flow-root` was supposed to kill the `overflow: hidden` hack, but if people can't use `display: block ruby-root` I think they will use `display: block ruby; overflow: hidden`.

Additionally, someone may use `block ruby` because they want to use `height` or `width`. But if the element is inlinified (e.g. it's inside a run-in), then it will become `inline ruby` and will stop generating a block container. Just like `block flow` inlinifies to `inline flow-root`, `block ruby` should inlinify to `inline flow-root` (#1700).

I agree wrapper boxes are not much desirable, but since there already is `block ruby`, I think we should go all the way and cover all cases.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1457#issuecomment-342493066 using your GitHub account