Re: [csswg-drafts] Please add "tab-index" to CSS specification

From: Rob Dodson via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 03:32:48 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org

For what it's worth, this behavior is available today if you're using Shadow DOM. Here's an example (need to view it in Chrome): https://jsbin.com/lidaguf/edit?html,output

> So, I am wondering how they read a page. Do they read the whole page at once?

Generally speaking, screen readers navigate the page in DOM order. Think of it kind of like linearly going from element to element. Just navigating with the Tab key would not be useful because that would only move between interactive controls, so a screen reader user would miss all the other content on the page.

My very rough understanding is when a user lands on an unfamiliar page they will typically use a shortcut to navigate by headings (h1-h6 tags). When they find an interesting heading, they will then drill into that section, navigating in a linear fashion, going element by element or line by line.

> And if so, do they consider the tabindex attribute set on elements

A user _could_ press the tab key to jump to the next interactive element, but if they're just browsing through text content they'd be doing so in DOM order.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by robdodson
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1748#issuecomment-342365436 using your GitHub account