Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-ui-4] Change the pointer cursor to indicate any interactive element.

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 16:47:39 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Yes, most elements are or could be interactive, so a more precise definition would be useful.

The key feature of buttons and links is that a single click, with the primary mouse button, triggers an activation behavior.  The finger pointer cursor has therefore come to mean "click here".

Working from @kizu's proposed text:

> _**'pointer'**_
> The cursor is a pointer that indicates an interactive element, clicking or tapping on which would result in any action (for example links and buttons).

We can replace "any action" with a more specific description:

> _**'pointer'**_
> The cursor is a pointer that indicates an interactive element with a primary activation behavior triggered by a click or tap (for example, links and buttons).

And while we're editing, we could add a visual description, to be consistent with other descriptions in the list:

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1936#issuecomment-341987070 using your GitHub account