Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values] enable the use of counter() inside calc()

From: Xidorn Quan via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 12:17:05 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> However, note that the CSS Lists draft currently allows counter() anywhere a <string> is expected, doesn't this have the same problem? If it's possible to use a counter value as a string, it should also be possible to use it as an integer.

Firstly, there are a lot fewer places where `<string>` is accepted, and they are usually relatively less complicated than `<length>` and its friends when it comes to layout, so expanding them in used-value time (like what is currently done for `content` property) may not be as bad.

Also, allowing `counter()` anywhere `<string>` is allowed is something new. [`counter()` functions are listed as independent item of `content` property in CSS2.](https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#content) And I'm not aware of any browser who has implemented that anywhere outside `content`. That means, its feasibility may also be questioned, and my argument above can potentially be apply to that as well.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1026#issuecomment-341687903 using your GitHub account