[csswg-drafts] [css-display] Explicitly note display:contents does not affect inheritance

From: Loirooriol via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 22:15:17 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Loirooriol has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-display] Explicitly note display:contents does not affect inheritance ==
[`display: contents`](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-display-3/#valdef-display-contents) has this note

> As only the box tree is affected, any semantics based on the document tree, such as selector-matching and event handling, are not affected.

This is kinda obvious: if `display: contents` can be set to an element via selector-matching, it shouldn't affect selector-matching. And event handling is entirely a DOM thingie.

CSS Cascade says inheritance follows the document tree but that's a blatant lie, e.g. `::first-line` intercepts inheritance for some properties, and it is based on the box tree. Therefore, I don't think it's obvious at all that children elements of a `display: contents` still inherit from it.

So please note style inheritance is not affected by `display: contents` neither.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1473 using your GitHub account