[csswg-drafts] [css-align] Rules for align/justify-self on static position of absolutely-positioned boxes need more detail

From: L. David Baron via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 22:26:58 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
dbaron has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-align] Rules for align/justify-self on static position of absolutely-positioned boxes need more detail ==
The alignment spec has [rules for applying `justify-self` to the static position of absolutely-positioned boxes](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#justify-abspos-static) and similar [for `align-self`](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#align-abspos-static).  This section is quite opaque, and could perhaps use an introduction.

I think what this section is trying to say is that for absolutely positioned elements that use their static position, they're aligned within their static-position rectangle (formerly "hypothetical box") using the align-self and justify-self properties.  If that's the idea, it would be nice to have a little bit of prose saying that, and explaining the relationship to the previous section.

But there are also a number of other issues:
* unlike the two sections (for blocks and absolutely-positioned elements) preceding each of these sections, they don't specify any rules about overriding the rules for over-constrained situations, and therefore if the intent is as described above, I think it doesn't actually work
* I don't understand what " The box’s margin box after laying out the box, treated as fixed-size for the purpose of alignment." means
* I don't understand what "(as the fallback for stretch for fixed-size boxes)" means.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1432 using your GitHub account