[csswg-drafts] [css-align] "compatible baseline alignment preferences" is ambiguous

From: L. David Baron via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 00:31:38 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
dbaron has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-align] "compatible baseline alignment preferences" is ambiguous ==
The [section on Baseline Alignment Terminology](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#baseline-terms) begins with a [definition of baseline sharing group](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#baseline-sharing-group), whose second point is:

> * Have compatible [baseline alignment preferences](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#baseline-alignment-preference) (i.e., the baselines that want to align are on the same side of the alignment context).

The "baseline alignment preferences" link currently defines the preferences as `first` or `last`.

This measn that the text outside the parenthetical seems to imply that "compatible" means that a group consists of the items that are all `first`, or separately of the items that are all `last`, whereas the parenthetical seems to imply that the group should be matched by the physical side.  This could matter for, say, baseline alignment of `vertical-lr` and `vertical-rl` table cells against each other.

I think it makes more sense to group by physical side rather than by first/last.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1407 using your GitHub account