Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries-4] any-hover can't be used to detect mixed hover and non-hover capable pointers

From: Patrick H. Lauke via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 08:44:59 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> However, I do recognize that this is subjective ones, and that reasonable people can see disagree.

Glad to know I'm reasonable :)

In seriousness, I agree that what you outline in terms of how an author should treat hover is reasonable. Plus, with the additional text I added in https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/715 which strongly suggests that authors should still not rely on hover to take account of any other non-hover-capable inputs and the note I added in https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/842/files#diff-86306790afb9d5330bbdda192a7b99f6R1783 we've probably got at least a warning to authors of potential gaps in what they can detect, which would hopefully temper their enthusiasm when `any-hover:hover` evaluates to true.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in what others in the CSSWG think (to either changing when `any-hover:none` evaluates or the potential for a third partial/mixed value.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by patrickhlauke
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/841#issuecomment-299808689 using your GitHub account