Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-multicol] definition of `column-span` should say what happens without an ancestor multicol

From: Morten Stenshorne via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 19:44:49 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
So it looks like Chrome is the odd one here, right? In a way I find it strange that a property meant to be used inside multicol containers only has any effect on elements not inside such a container, but the spec does say that column-span applies to "in-flow block-level elements". The spec needs to become clearer. I have no strong opinions when it comes to the exact resolution, other than the fact that it should either be:

A: Chrome has a bug - fix the spec to say that column-span:all outside of multicol still establishes a new block formatting context (on that note: issue #1071 points out that "block formatting context" isn't good wording)

B: Beef up the spec and have the other browsers align with Chrome's behavior

--
GitHub Notification of comment by mstensho
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1074#issuecomment-289882650 using your GitHub account