Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-display] Define interaction of display:contents and replaced elements

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 17:49:57 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> Couldn't you say the same about `<progress>` and `<meter>`?

No - the contents of progress/meter *are* fallback content, exposed to the a11y tree.  They're meaningful in browsers that understand the element.

I think meter/progress are similar to br/wbr - they represent some text content, even if they're rendered as magical things.  They should *probably* be display:none as a result, we just want to make sure the WG agrees.

> The only elements that sometimes fall back and sometimes don't, in a given browser, are `<object>` (depending on data type) and `<canvas>` (depending on if JS is disabled).

And embed/applet, I think.  (If they can't, then whatever, they just display:none all the time.)

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/540#issuecomment-287138565 using your GitHub account