Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-font-4][varfont] hyphens or spaces

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 21:04:31 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Please don't use hyphens to denote a range. They're more familiar in English, but they're hell for the CSS parser, which will happily parse "10%-20%" as `PERCENT(10) PERCENT(-20)`.  You're required to put a token-breaker (whitespace or comment) after the hyphen, and that requirement often isn't clear to authors.

Do not use a `/` - that's used for a specific purpose in CSS (separating two values who are otherwise grammatically undistinguishable). It's not used for decorative purposes.

We don't often add subsyntaxes for this sort of thing; we typically just let there be two values, and the meaning is inferred.  If you *really* think it's unclear, use a keyword - `<angle> [ to <angle> ]?` is clear and has no parsing issues.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/783#issuecomment-284858430 using your GitHub account