[csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] We can't add new values to the font-synthesis property

From: Myles C. Maxfield via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 21:13:37 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
litherum has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-fonts-4] We can't add new values to the font-synthesis property ==
Currently, the `font-synthesis` property accepts a list of types of synthesis that the browser is allowed to perform: synthetic bold, synthetic oblique, and synthetic small-caps. The initial value of this property is listing everything, so the browser is allowed to synthesize everything.

Most web authors I've talked with want to turn off a particular kind of synthesis (rather than turn on a particular kind of synthesis). Therefore, if a web author wants to turn off synthetic bold, she may write `font-synthesis: style small-caps`.

Unfortunately, this means that, if we (the CSSWG) add a new type of synthesis that is allowed (for example, this may occur in the future with font variations), this existing style sheet won't get our new type of synthesis (because the list is opt-in rather than opt-out).

Given that multiple browsers have already shipped this property, I'm not sure what we can do about this. Does anyone have any ideas, or are we just out of luck?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1641 using your GitHub account