Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-rhythm-1] Avoiding accidental double spacing

From: Koji Ishii via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 09:40:21 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I understand the motivation, but I'm not a big fan of adding more
automatic magic behaviors.

`line-height: normal` causing different layout by browsers/platforms
are already widely known facts. Most recent reset.css has
`line-height: 1`. Fixing it automatically only when `line-height-step`
 is set looks like we're recommending not to to set `line-height`.
We're not, correct?

Also, the problem you state isn't limited to `line-height`. What if
author forgot to set `font-size`? If the font-size is larger than a
test device, it may result in two units, but we can't fix it, correct?

I have a mid preference to let authors to deal with their errors, and
minimize the magic behaviors in the platform.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/938#issuecomment-274440521